1.30.2014

Sugar Scrub


My hands get terribly dry in the winter. Painfully dry. It's mostly the weather, but working in an office with lots of paper all day doesn't help. I hate it! I'm a lotion snob and can't stand anything the slightest bit greasy. I also can't stand to have any on my palms, so after I rub all the lotion in, I have to rinse off just my palms so they don't feel wet and slimy. I'm a little OCD, I know, but what're ya gonna do?

A couple years ago, as part of my plan to make some Christmas gifts, I came across a few different recipes for a sugar scrub. Based on those, I came up with my own recipe.  I love giving it away as gifts, but I'm always sure to keep a jar in the bathroom for myself. I love it! It makes my hands so smooth and soft.

Materials
  • olive oil
  • turbinado sugar
  • regular sugar
  • lavender essential oil.

Directions
It's hard to measure this recipe, but it's super easy to make.
  1. Find a jar that you want to reuse.  Wider mouths work better, but as long as you can get your fingers into the jar to scoop some scrub out, you're all set.  
  2. Fill the jar about 3/4 full with turbinado sugar.  
  3. Add a couple teaspoons of regular white sugar.  (Or skip this step.  I only add it because it makes the whole thing a little sparkly and I like that.)  
  4. Dump the sugar back out into a bowl and start adding olive oil a few drops at a time.  Thoroughly mix the oil into the sugar until you get a wet, but not soaked, consistency.  
  5. Add a few drops of your choice of essential oil and stir again.  
  6. Scoop the scrub back into the jar and you're all set for smooth, soft hands!
This scrub, lots of lotion, and humidifiers are what I use to combat terribly dry skin in our house.  What do you do to save your dry skin in the winter?


Linked up at Heather's French Press: Wake Up Wednesdays, The Recipe Critic: Time to Sparkle, The SITS Girls, Just Us Four.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...