6.19.2012

Microwave Potato Chips {recipe}

You can make potato chips in the microwave.

Excited?  You should be!

This is a really easy and fairly quick recipe that I discovered years ago.  I've only made chips a couple times, though, because I completely forgot about it.  A few weeks ago, Doug was home early due to some training the next day.  Phee and I had cleaned up some leftovers for dinner and all Doug had to look forward to for a very late dinner was a sandwich.  From the depths of my tired brain, I recalled this recipe and quickly made some chips to go with his sandwich.  Phee and I had them a couple weeks later and she loved them, too.

The recipe has good directions.  I have a few tips to help.
  • The thinner your potato slices, the faster they will cook.  The crunch will also be different.
  • Spray your plate really, really well before you put the potatoes on.
  • Very thin slices will cook in the 3-5 minute range.  Mine cooked in about 8-10 minutes.
  • This works with all kinds of potatoes- baking, white, red, blue.  I haven't tried sweet potatoes, but it probably works for those, too.
Here are the quick directions:
 Slice potatoes very thinly.

Toss potato slices with oil in a sealed bag so that all the potatoes are coated.

Lay the potatoes in a single layer on a microwave safe plate.

You want the slices to start to turn brown (maybe not quite this much) so that they get crispy.

One of the best things about this recipe is the fact that you can make just enough for one meal or one person and not have a bunch of salty junk food sitting around the house after that one meal.  I haven't tried these with any flavoring except for a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  I think popcorn seasoning would work really well with those, or even just a sprinkle of spices; black pepper and rosemary, pizza seasoning, chili powder.

These chips pair well with the best sandwich ever.  You will definitely be glad that you gave this one a try. Enjoy!



linked up at
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...