Turns out, you can make a very tasty vegetarian version of shepherd's pie using kidney beans in place of the meat. I'm sure I could have also just use more veggies and skipped the beans, but I wanted something a little heartier and less mushy than just the veggies.
It was delicious! It didn't taste like beans. It actually tasted just like I expected my shepherd's pie to taste. Another benefit- it wasn't greasy since there wasn't any ground beef.
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie (based on this one)
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen veggies (I used corn, green beans, peas, broccoli & cauliflower)
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 t rosemary
- 1/2 t parsley
- 1/2 t garlic salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1/4 t paprika (plus a little extra for garnish)
- 1/2 cup water
- Make your mashed potatoes however you like them.
- Saute the chopped onion. (You could skip this step and just throw the onion in with the veggies.)
- Dump the kidney beans, onion, veggies and seasoning into the crockpot and stir.
- Add 1/2-3/4 cup water.
- Put the mashed potatoes on top of the veggie mixture and smooth them out. Sprinkle a little paprika on top for garnish.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6. For the last 30 minutes you'll want to vent the lid and let the extra moisture cook off.
linked up at