4.21.2014

Honey butter carrots

Years ago, when we lived in NH, there was a wonderful little Hungarian restaurant that we visited from time to time. For us, it was a trip down memory lane. In the fall of 1999, Doug and I did a study abroad semester in Budapest. It's a gorgeous city. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Anyway, this restaurant in Manchester had the most delicious carrots. They were soft, but not mushy, and drenched in butter. I think I got them every time I ate there. I had to have something to balance out the pastries and cake that filled the two cases at the front of the restaurant!

I've made carrots a couple of times, but have never been pleased with the results. So, I stopped cooking them and kept eating them raw. But, winging a simple dinner of baked chicken the other night, I decided to give carrots a try again because we didn't have enough salad left for everyone.

I am so glad I tried again. These carrots were so tasty. They are buttery with a light, sweet flavor. This is also an easy side dish to throw together. Preparation is minimal and you don't need any special ingredients!

honey butter carrots- side dish recipe

Honey Butter Carrots (Weight Watchers = 4 PP per serving)
makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 lb baby carrots
  • 3 T unsalted butter
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1 T honey
  • 1/8 t ginger

Directions
  1. Cook carrots in water for 15-20 minutes just until soft, but not mushy.
  2. Drain almost all of the water, leaving about 1 tsp.
  3. Add butter, brown sugar, honey, and ginger and stir.
  4. Simmer on the stove for another 5-10 minutes until carrots are glazed in the mix.
honey butter carrots- side dish recipe

What's your favorite veggie side for dinner? We do corn and green beans a lot, and tons of salad. These carrots are in the rotation now and I'd love to hear your favorites so I can add some more to our repertoire!

Linked up at Yesterfood, Mandy's Recipe Box, A Dish of Daily Life, Coco and Cocoa.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...