1.14.2009

Make your own vanilla extract

Last year I made vanilla extract kits as gifts for my mom and mother-in-law's birthdays. It's a fun, easy project and a gift that keeps giving, too.


Start with a clean glass jar. I reused Pom tea jars for these vanilla sets. You need 3 vanilla beans for each jar of extract you want to make. And you need some vodka!

Decorate the lids with paper, fabric, or whatever you have to cover the printing.

I used paper, so I then sprayed it with a couple coats of clear sealer spray so that the paper wouldn’t come off.



Print out the vanilla extract instructions and decorate them as tags. I used matching paper and ribbons for each set.

Cut each vanilla bean lengthwise in the center, stopping 1 inch from the top of the bean.

Put the beans in the jar and cover with vodka.

Voila! You've got a great gift for the bakers in your life.



If you plan on mailing this gift to someone, I suggest buying a small bottle of vodka to mail with it, unless you're sure that the lid on your vanilla container will seal tightly.

Vanilla Extract tag
Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while. Store in a dark, cool place for 2 months or longer.
Lasts for years. You can keep topping it off with vodka as you use the extract. Just remember to shake it up when you add more vodka.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...