6.12.2012

Navy Beans & Ham {recipe}

I tried out a new crock pot recipe on Sunday, navy beans & ham, which I found on Pinterest.  This recipe was really easy which is what was so appealing in the first place.  I love to use my crock pot, but am not a fan of recipes that call for a bunch of steps and pre-cooking before I put the ingredients into the crock pot.  The whole reason I'm using the crock pot so much at this point in my life is for convenience and time management.  Extra steps do not help me.

The only extra step here was soaking the dry beans overnight.  I usually shy away from recipes that require soaking dry beans, but I really don't have a good explanation for why I do that.  So, I did it this time and I don't know what my problem was before- it's not inconvenient to soak beans in the crock overnight in the fridge.  Silly me.  Using the dried beans makes this a really economical recipe, too.  Tasty and cheap?  I'm sold!

The original recipe is here.  Below I will write it up as I made it on Sunday afternoon.   I added some extra carrots and celery and didn't feel like chopping garlic.


Ingredients
  • 1 lb dry navy beans
  • 1/3 large white onion, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 1/2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2 thick slices low sodium deli ham, chopped
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • fresh basil & parsley
  • garlic salt & pepper to taste

Directions
  • Soak the navy beans overnight
  • Drain and rise beans in the morning.
  • Dice veggies and ham.
  • Put the beans, veggies, ham and water into the crock pot.  Add the spices and stir.
  • Cook on high for 6-8 hours, or until the beans are soft

We had this as a meal with fresh bread.  The original recipe was made as a side dish.  Either way, it's delicious!

Looking for more crock pot recipes?  I have a crock pot board on Pinterest!  Also, please pin the original recipe from the links in this post, or repin it on Pinterest



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...