11.13.2012

Thanksgiving dinner favorites

In the fall of 2004, we moved across the country from New Hampshire to Texas. We didn't have the time or money to turn right around and head back to visit family for Thanksgiving. We were lucky that we had one friend not too far away who came to spend the holiday with us while her husband was deployed. We were also lucky that she had a baster because we did not. These are the things you don't think of when you're making your very first turkey.

{my trusty guide}
I was excited, but nervous, to make my first big Thanksgiving meal. I hit the jackpot when my mom sent me an extra copy of the November 2004 issue of Family Fun magazine. As I flipped through, I discovered recipes for a full, tasty, yet simple Thanksgiving meal. Every year, these recipes and even that magazine have been my template for Thanksgiving. The magazine sits tucked in with my cookbooks and recipes, just waiting for November to roll around again. Then, it's time for the recipes to shine again.


So, without further ado, here are the delicious recipes that make up our Thanksgiving feast.

Herb Roasted Turkey (mother-in-law tip: while it's cooking, baste the top with a stick of butter a couple times)
Mashed potatoes (the one dish I'd made before)
Savory Sausage Stuffing
Gravy with Red Currant Jelly


Cheesy Gratin of Brussels Sprouts (only made once, but very tasty!) 
Cider Cranberry Sauce
Peanut Butter Pie (always look at the recipes in the ads... you might find something like this gem!)



What's your favorite Thanksgiving dish? Do you have a specialty that you make every year?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...