2.12.2013

Oatmeal Valentines

There are any number of candy-free valentine ideas out there.  Whole collections of them.  And, if you're a big Pinterest fan, like me, you've seen a bunch of these really cute ideas.  I didn't want to duplicate something that Phee might see anyway, though, and I wanted her to have something unique to give to her friends.

I have no idea how I came up with this, or what even made me think of oatmeal.  I imagine I was daydreaming while Phee was having an oatmeal bedtime snack- one of her favorites.  But, "You oat to be my Valentine" stuck in my head and made me giggle.  So, we went with it.

"You 'oat' to be my Valentine." Free printable for candy-free Valentine. ~ Life in Random Bits

Cute, simple and healthy.  You can't go wrong with that combination, especially on a holiday full of chocolate and candy.  Phee gets to share one of her favorite snacks with her friends and I'm happy that we didn't add to the sugar rush of the day.

"You 'oat' to be my Valentine." Free printable for candy-free Valentine. ~ Life in Random Bits

Materials
  • individual oatmeal packets
  • individual raisin boxes
  • plastic baggies
  • cardstock
  • adhesive
  • stapler

Directions
  1. Print out the oatmeal valentine page and cut out the sayings.
  2. Cut card stock to 6.5" by 3.5" (3.5" is a good minimum, but 4" works really well) and fold in half.
  3. Affix the oatmeal saying to one side of the folded card stock.  Kids can write their name or personalize the valentines on the back of the folded card stock.
  4. Put one oatmeal packet and one raisin box in a ziplock baggie and seal it.
  5. Put one folded piece of card stock, with oatmeal saying affixed, over the top of the sealed baggie and staple it in place.
"You 'oat' to be my Valentine." Free printable for candy-free Valentine. ~ Life in Random Bits
{the labels for the baggies- just copy and paste it into Word to resize it}

What fun things are your kids giving out for Valentine's day this year?  Are you looking forward to any of the treats they're likely to bring home?



Linked up at

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...