9.16.2014

Gear for beginning runners & C25K update

This post contains Amazon Associate links.

I'm in my final week of the Couch to 5K program. It's going pretty well. I'm slightly frustrated that I'm not faster and that my breathing is such a mess, but I'm still managing the 28 minute runs without too much trouble. I mean, I'm slow as molasses at the end, but at least I'm running!

With the longer runs, I got bored and had to branch out of our neighborhood. The trail around the neighborhood is too dark for my comfort at 5:45 in the morning. So, I'm running around the neighborhoods next to ours. Turns out, that means some slight hills. Boy was that fun last week. Ha!

I usually run in the street because our neighborhood is so quiet. After two mornings, I knew which houses had people leaving early and other than that, I only saw the newspaper delivery car. Now, in the other neighborhoods, there are some larger thoroughfares so I'm having to use the sidewalk more. Want to know why I avoid the sidewalk? I'm clumsy. Yesterday morning, I almost went face first in to the sidewalk after tripping on the curb. The only thing that saved me was the fact that I was running and the momentum meant I got one extra step in so I caught myself. Thank god... it would not have been pretty for my face or my arms.

Only one close call in 9 weeks, though? That's remarkable. And I've only had a couple itty bitty run-ins with wildlife. I haven't injured myself. I haven't quit. I only repeated one week. And I'm running for nearly 30 minutes at a time. I am astounded by my progress some days.

Gear for beginning runners #running #exercise ~ Life in Random Bits

I started running with a goal in mind. The only thing I had was a shiny new pair of shoes and the socks that the guy at the running store recommended. I don't have a great deal of experience, but I thought I'd share my favorite beginning runner things. If you're looking to start out, these few things will make your life a bit easier, I think.
  • Get good shoes! Comfy socks, too. If your feet aren't happy, you're not going to last long. 
  • Invest in a good sports bra. Glamorise has fantastic options.
  • I held my phone for the first few weeks. Once you're running for a big chunk of time, that gets old. Get an armband for your phone. I have one, but never remember it so I just tuck my phone in my bra. I need to use the darn armband!
  • Headbands make everything less annoying. My hair still gets in my face on windy days, but the headband keeps it from being plastered to my sweaty face.
  • I love this Camelbak water bottle. I use it when I get back to the house. I like to use it around the house and in the car to make sure I'm drinking enough water. Get yourself a fun color or fun design so you'll be more inclined to keep it around and use it.



What are your essentials for running? Or your favorites, even. I love to see what everyone else is using and hear tips and tricks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...