3.31.2014

Honey Banana Oat Bread

Oh my gosh, this bread is good. Phee and I planned to make some banana bread to send to her Nana and Gramp. I had a plan in mind for some changes I wanted to make to my favorite banana bread recipe which is full of butter and sugar. Incidentally, that recipe is quite delicious. Also, not very Weight Watchers friendly.

So, like I said, I had a plan. I also had a helper. The changes to the recipe ended up being more extensive than planned for. I pretty much ended up with a new recipe because so many different things were added and swapped. Lucky for me, they turned out beautifully, and fairly healthy, too. Plus, low points!


Honey Banana Oat Bread (Weight Watchers points = 3 PP per muffin)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups oat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups regular flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 overripe bananas mashed
  • 5 T milk

Directions
  1. Mix together the flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
  2. Mix applesauce, sugar, and honey.
  3. Add the eggs and mashed bananas.
  4. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  
  5. Add the milk.
  6. Spoon into greased mini loaf pans or muffin tins.
  7. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes, until just browned and a toothpick comes out clean. If you want to make a large loaf, the baking time will increase to 50-60 minutes.
Fun tip: If you want to make your own oat flour, just finely grind some regular rolled oats. It's easy and you can keep them in an airtight container. I think I'm going to try using it in my pancakes as an alternative to white flour.

We've had these muffins for breakfast and for snacks. I don't think you can go wrong either way! Phee is very proud of the eight loaves she sent off to her Nana and Gramp, too. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...