I've seen several incarnations of a chicken and baked potato dish on Pinterest, but find the addition of chicken unappealing for some reason. Cooked separately, it sounds delicious. All together? Not so much.
So I decided to try making a loaded potato casserole instead and completely skip the chicken. The addition of green pepper adds a sweet twist. This is a fantastic side dish, with lots of leftovers for lunches. We had it as the main dish with salad and loved it. There weren't as many leftovers, but that just means I have to make it again soon!
Loaded Potato Casserole (Weight Watchers = 6 PP per serving)
makes 8 servings
- 2.5 lb potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 c onion, chopped
- 3 oz bacon, cook and crumbled (or bacon bits)
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 t rosemary
- 1 t parsley
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix potatoes, peppers, onions, and bacon.
- Add spices and olive oil and mix.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese before serving. You can put the foil back over the pan lightly to help the cheese melt if needed.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~