7.17.2012

Empty the Fridge Enchiladas {recipe}

I love Mexican food.  I would eat Mexican all week (same goes for pizza and Italian) if I could.  I'm guessing no one who's actually from Texas would call these enchiladas authentic.  Doesn't matter to me- these are delicious!  



This is a huge odds-n-ends meal. I use chicken, beef or turkey. Or I go vegetarian and just use black beans and pinto beans.  I use whatever veggies I have in the fridge and freezer. I use cream of whatever soup if I don't have fiesta nacho. If I use a cream soup I add some more shredded cheddar. You can add sour cream to the mix.  Sometimes I forget the taco seasoning.  The taste is always a little different, but they're always really, really good!

These enchiladas also freeze well.  If what I've mixed up (because I don't usually measure) turns out to be a big batch of filling, I will make up extra enchiladas and freeze them in another pan.  Once they've started to harden, you can pop them out of the pan and put them in a freezer bag.  Just defrost them, put them back in a pan and heat them through in the oven at 350°.  An excellent and convenient freezer meal!


Ingredients
  • 1 can of Campbells fiesta nacho cheese soup
  • 1c frozen corn
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped (or more)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1c shredded cooked chicken
  • 1 c shredded cheddar
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
Directions
  • Mix everything together in a big bowl.
  • Put a couple spoonfuls on a tortilla and roll it up.  
  • Put the enchiladas in a greased baking pan. Pour any leftover enchilada mix over the top of the enchiladas. 
  • Bake at 350° until warmed through and the tortillas are just starting to get crispy edges.

{mix all your veggies, cheese, meat together}

{add seasoning, soup, sour cream, etc}

{spoon the mixture onto tortillas}

{you can pour any extra mixture over the top of the enchiladas, or just leave them bare, or add cheese!}

The recipe above is my standard for making these enchiladas.  The picture in this post are another combination of ingredients that turned out to be maybe the best batch I've ever made.  (I've had this written up for weeks, but hadn't gotten around to actually making enchiladas so I could get pictures.)

So, the ingredients for the batch in the pictures:
  • leftover garlic chicken (with some of the garlic and onion)
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • chopped green pepper
  • can of refried black beans
  • 1 c shredded white cheddar
  • taco seasoning
  • juice from 1/2 a lime

linked up at
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...