A few months ago Phee and I made our Patchwork Paper tree. Since then, we've redecorated it a couple times. Our spring flowers were starting to look a little sad and worn so I decided it was time to come up with something else to adorn the tree.
The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. I love the parades and fireworks. And who doesn't love a good BBQ?! I gave it some thought and came up with a fun way for Phee and I to make some small firework decorations.
Cupcake liners! I happened to have some red and white striped cupcake liners leftover from Christmas. So, while I was grocery shopping I picked up silver, red and blue in two sizes, plus some glitter and glittery star stickers. After nap time, we were all set to start our crafting!
- regular size and mini cupcake liners (holiday themed colors, or whatever colors you have on hand)
- glittery star stickers (optional, of course, and there are any number of other stickers that would be fun to use, too)
- scissors (regular or patterned edge)
- Flip your cupcake liners inside out.
- Use a regular scissors or a patterned blade scissors to make cuts on the ribbed part of the cupcake liner. For some I cut straight down from the top, stopping at the flat, circular bottom of the cupcake liner. Some I cut on an angle so they sort of looked like pinwheels. I used a mix of straight and patterned scissors.
- Flatten one cupcake liner as your base.
- Using adhesive, attach another one or two liners.
- Attach a mini liner to the center.
- Add a glittery star if you like.
- Add some sparkle with glitter! (glitter pens would work well; we used adhesive and sprinkled loose glitter onto the sticky spots)
You can use these to decorate a tree like we did, a banner, a table, the door or even just the wall. This is a fun project, especially if you use the loose glitter. And, if you like to do crafts, chances are you have most of these items on hand, too.
What kind of decorations do you have for the 4th? Do you make fun things for a parade or to decorate bikes? Have a fantastic 4th of July!
Linked up at Teach Beside Me, Tip Junkie, An Extraordinary Day, About a Mom, Close to Home, Snap Creativity.