7.05.2012

Greek Chicken Pita {recipe}

I found a crock pot recipe for Greek Chicken Pita on Pinterest a few weeks ago.  I finally decided to toss it into the menu plan last week and I was pleasantly surprised.  It looked really good and was easy to make so I was happy to try it.  But, it was amazing!  This recipe is a keeper for sure! 


Greek Chicken Pita (Weight Watchers = 10 PP per serving)
makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
  • 1½ teaspoons lemon pepper
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
  • 4 pita pocket breads
  • ½ cup plain yogurt
  • 1 tomato,sliced (I chopped it up)
  • ½ cup chopped cucumber
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
Directions
  • In crock pot, combine onion, garlic, chicken, lemon pepper, oregano, and allspice; mix to coat chicken with seasoning.
  • Cover and cook on low for 4–6 hours.
  • Heat pita bread as directed on package. Meanwhile, remove chicken from slow-cooker; place on cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken.
  • To serve, stir yogurt into onion mixture in slow-cooker. Spoon chicken onto warm pita bread. With slotted spoon, transfer onion mixture onto chicken; top with tomato, cucumber, and red pepper strips.
I used 1.25 pounds of chicken and skipped the red bell pepper because I didn't have any.  I also used a full 6oz cup of plain yogurt.  The recipe says it's enough for 4 pita pockets, but I'd say there's slightly more than that, especially if you're loading your pita up with veggies.  And don't skimp on the sauce- it's really tasty!

This was absolutely delicious.  I ate two pitas and could have probably eaten the whole thing if I didn't have to leave some for Doug when he got off work.  Phee didn't try it, but unless she got the chicken with ketchup she probably wouldn't have been interested.  Plus, she says pepper is too spicy.

After making this once, I think this is a recipe that can easily be doubled or tripled for a party or full house.  I'm definitely keeping it in mind for the next time we have family in town.  It's easy, doesn't take any extra prep time and everyone can customize their own with the toppings.  Perfect for feeding a crowd!

(The original source has a bunch of crock pot recipes listed and a bunch of those look really good, too!)

linked up at
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...