7.10.2012

Perfect Pancakes

I make pancakes most Sunday mornings lately.   The recipe I've used for years came from my mother-in-law and it's just the basic recipe from one of the old standard cookbooks like Better Homes & Gardens.  I got bored with it so I started playing with it to make it better and tastier.


Doug and Phee love syrup and will only eat the real thing which his parents send us from NH.  I prefer the fake stuff or no syrup at all.  (Or grape jam if we have some in the house.)  I wanted a sweeter pancake so I didn't feel like I was missing out on the tasty breakfast.  We also like to make berry pancakes and the berries need some extra sweetness sometimes.

After a few tries this amazing pancake recipe was born.  And then Phee helped me make pancakes last Sunday and she made them even better with a little extra sugar.  Smart girl.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cup white flour (also good as 3/4 cup white, 1/2 cup wheat)
  • 3 T sugar
  • 3 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 1 T vanilla
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 T oil
If you want to add berries, it works better to mix them into the batter.  This recipe is especially tasty with chopped strawberries.

Directions
  • Mix the dry ingredients together.
  • Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
  • Fold in berries if you're using them.
  • Cook on a griddle until they're golden brown.
I've made these with many different combinations.  Blueberries and lemon extract.  Strawberries and black walnut flavor.  Mixed berries with almond extract.  Chopped peaches with a bit of ginger and nutmeg.  I have a plan to try an apple topping in the fall when we get fresh apples from NH.

What's your favorite pancake?  Or do you prefer plain old pancakes drenched in syrup?


linked up at
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...