11.27.2012

Pizza Quiche

I love quiche.  It looks and sounds so fancy and it's a tasty combination of breakfast and dinner.  It's one of those versatile dishes that can be made for any meal, with endless combinations of ingredients.

I needed a last minute dinner a couple months ago when some friends were coming over.  I though we'd grill, and then remembered that the grill was out of commission after I'd already set a menu and told the friends what to bring.  Oops.  So, I poked around the fridge and amazingly had everything I needed to make quiche.  Lucky me!


I've heard a number of people say that quiche is too hard and they can't make it.  Not true!  Definitely not true at all.  Quiche is surprisingly easy.  And, we all know I'm not one for measuring.  It's never been a problem when it comes to the goodies you throw in.  I've just chopped and diced and tossed the goodies into the pie crust and the quiche has always baked perfectly.

The only thing I will say about it, though, is that a homemade crust tastes so much better than a store bought crust.  I've made quiche both ways, generally out of convenience, and, while the store bought is pretty darn good, it just doesn't compare to a homemade crust.  So, if you have the time, definitely take the extra 10 minutes to make it from scratch!

Pizza Quiche

Ingredients
  • 1 pie crust
  • 6 eggs
  • 8 oz cream (you can use milk, but the higher the fat content, the better)
  • 2 cup shredded cheese (I used a pizza blend, but most anything would work)
  • 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/4 cup sliced olives
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Prepare your pie crust.
  3. Spread your chopped veggies into a smooth layer in the pie crust.
  4. Beat the eggs.  Add the cream and beat more.  
  5. Add the spices and herbs and mix well.  Add the cheese and mix well.
  6. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies in the pie crust.
  7. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour, until the center is set and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Slice and serve with a salad for a tasty brunch, lunch or dinner.  Serve it with fruit for breakfast. You can make so many variations to suit your family's taste.  And I promise you, it's really not difficult to make!

What are your favorite quiche goodies?  Do you like yours simple with just a couple classic ingredients, or do like a lot of flavor and variety?




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...