I scanned the kitchen and decided to cook them up with a chopped apple. It was a tasty fig applesauce. I elected to use it as the filling for a half batch of counting cake, though, and it was a delicious decision!
This is very quick and easy to make and a simple way to use up fresh figs. And, it can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many figs you have. Play around with the ratio, too, to suit your tastes.
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 12 figs, peeled and chopped
- 1T brown sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1T water
- Chop your apple and figs and put them in a small saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and water and stir.
- Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Stir once or twice so it doesn't burn.
- Let it cool a bit and eat it as is or use it as a filling for tarts, cake, or cookies.