10.04.2013

Healthy WW Pot Roast substitutions

I made a pot roast in the crock pot this week and it was delicious. I threw in a bunch of potatoes and carrots and we had a really tasty dinner waiting for us when we got home.

I neglected to figure points ahead of time, but that wasn't really a problem. The problem was that I was thinking veggies=healthy. Which is correct, except that potatoes=lots of points. Damn you tasty potatoes!


Had I been a little more thoughtful in my planning over the weekend, I would have purchased some turnips to go in with the potatoes. My mom often does this with her roasts. It adds a little more flavor and the turnips mash right up with the potatoes and carrots so you can't even really tell the difference. (You all mash the potatoes and carrots together, right? It's not just my family?)

Another substitution, which I did make, was to mash my veggies up with a wedge of Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese instead of a bunch of butter. You get a nice creamy flavor this way, but without all the fat and points. It was quite tasty and I wouldn't hesitate to make the same substitution again.

1 T butter (3 PP) vs 1 wedge Laughing Cow (1 PP)

1/2 c potato (2 PP) vs 1/2 c turnip (0 PP)




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...