7.21.2014

Restaurant Roundup

We're big fans of local and organic and love all the great farmers markets that are available around Austin. Buying Texas is a part of that so when my good friend Shelley invited me to attend the kickoff of Go Texan Restaurant Roundup week, I jumped at the chance. Go Texan is great program that promotes food and products from Texas. I love finding the little symbol on things I buy at the grocery store and knowing I'm helping local companies and farms.

Now, the Restaurant Roundup is a very neat celebration of the state. Participating restaurants have special dishes and drinks and make donations to food banks across Texas during the week. It's win-win if you ask me: delicious Texas food and support for thousands of people across the state.

The kickoff was at the Bullock Texas State History Museum. I love that museum and its awesome mosaic entryway floor. I feel compelled to take a picture of the giant star out front every time I visit. I've always wanted to go to an event there, so now I can cross that off my list!

There were a number of local restaurants and wineries sharing sips and bites as a preview of their menus this week for the Restaurant Roundup. Honestly, everything was just delicious. Some were favorites, of course, because how can you not thoroughly enjoy lobster rolls or pie?!

Dock and Roll lobster roll
I'm a sucker for lobster and always will be. Absolutely delicious! And the homemade chips were light, crispy, and amazing.

Tiny Pies pecan mini pie
I'm not generally a fan of pecan pie, but this is by far the best one I've ever had. I could have eaten many more!

The great thing? Restaurant Roundup isn't just in Austin, it's all over the state. So, if you plan on going out this week, I highly suggest checking out a participating restaurant because your taste buds will be pleasantly surprised!

What's your favorite Texas dish?

Austin Land and Cattle pulled pork slider
Perfectly cooked pork in this little slider. The sauce was so flavorful.

Carmelo's pasta with shrimp and zucchini mousse
Great pasta dish! The zucchini mousse had an interesting texture, but the flavor was good.

Searsucker Shiner fried eggplant
How can you not love beer fried anything? Perfectly crisp and lovely with the sauce and slaw.

Backspace and Parkside bites with goat cheese and Texas quail
Tasty little bites. The goat cheese on the left was wonderful and the quail on the right was delicate and delicious.


~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Come find Life in Random Bits on Facebook and Pinterest for more fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...