Anyway, before we hit the garden store, I wanted to make a tasty breakfast for everyone. I'd been kicking around an idea for doctored cinnamon rolls and decided to finally try it out. I'm so glad I did! These rolls were perfect for a cool fall morning. It would have only been better if we'd eaten them out on the patio to enjoy the weather.
Apple cream cheese cinnamon rolls
- 1 package Pillsbury cinnamon rolls with caramel frosting
- 1/4 honeycrisp apple, very thinly sliced (you could use any apple)
- cream cheese, room temperature
- Unroll one cinnamon roll.
- Add some little chunks of cream cheese. It's hard to spread it on the dough, so I just sliced off little bits and laid it along the length of the cinnamon roll.
- Add very thinly sliced (seriously, super thin) apples along the length of the cinnamon roll.
- Re-roll the cinnamon roll. You may have to crack a couple apple slices, but that's no problem.
- Arrange them in the pan according to the package directions.
- Bake according to package directions and then spread with the caramel frosting.
- Serve warm and gooey with sausage, fruit, and a hot cup of coffee.
These were so tasty. The cream cheese and apple make them almost decadent. It's a lovely taste of fall for breakfast and I can't wait to make them again with fresh apples from New Hampshire after Doug and Phee are back from vacation.
What's your favorite kind of fall breakfast? Do you go for the sweet rolls and pastries, or do you prefer something a little heartier, like sausage and potatoes?
Linked up at Cupcakes and Crinoline, Memories by the Mile, Nap Time Creations, Mandy's Recipe Box, Sowdering About, A Savory Feast, A Dish of Daily Life.